A medium I have been enjoying a lot lately is the podcast. I have subscribed to quite a few of late and I find it is a really informative and entertaining format which suits my mobile lifestyle (i.e. I am always on the move round the house or in the car or walking around the nature reserve with the pram!). These are my current favourites:
- Adam Buxton Podcast – Adam Buxton is a very funny and likeable man and his ‘rabble chats’ (as he calls them) are great – he has had a lot of interesting people come on to shoot the breeze.
- This American Life – the show that spawned the more famous Serial, This American Life, hosted by Ira Glass (NPR), falls into the informative and interesting category rather than the belly-laugh one. I am currently listening to the latest podcast which deals with how to talk to children about difficult subjects (sex, racism and death).
- Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder – a true crime podcast in the vein of Serial which is going through the botched investigation of a brutal murder 29 years ago of a Private Investigator in London. It’s early on – just episode 2 – but I’m hooked. Since watching Interview with a Murderer the other day, I seem to be on a true crime tip at the moment.
- Body on the Moor – another investigative piece from Radio 4 this time. A body was found poisoned in the Peak District. This takes us through the mysterious circumstances.
- Gilmore Guys – a hugely popular podcasst within the Gilmore Girls fanbase (and beyond) and is probably in some small part responsible for the reunion shows being made of the Gilmore Girls for Netflix right now (and due to be shown later this year or early next). I really enjoyed a lot of these episodes but I am struggling with their treatment of the much maligned Season 7 (post-creator Amy Sherman Palladino’s departure) and their episodes are running into the 3 hours now and a wise woman once comments, ain’t nobody got time for that. My favourite episodes are the ones with the extremely irreverent Jason Mantzoukas who makes me cry with laughter.
- Elise Gets Crafty – I really enjoy most of these although it is another podcast where I pick and choose the ones I listen to. I love hearing about productivity, crafting, blogging, writing but am less interesting in setting up craft businesses etc. I have followed her blog / Instagram for years.
- WTF with Marc Maron Podcast – this is a very popular podcast which I have only just started listening too but if it’s good enough for Obama, then I want to give it a go!
- Becoming Wise – short but sweet, this podcast ‘is an inquiry into the mystery and art of living.’ Deep stuff but makes me feel more wholesome.
- Stuff You Should Know – I dip in and out of this as the subject matter interests me (I listened to the one on survival cannibalism but skipped how bonsai works… you get the drift).
- Dear Hank and John – dubious advice from one of my favourite authors, John Green, and his brother AKA the Vlogbrothers.
Do you listen to podcasts / have any recommendations?